British Special Forces In Libya - BBC Report
Newsnight's Diplomatic and Defence editor Mark Urban has investigated the role of Britain's intelligence services and special forces in the toppling of the Gaddafi regime from power in Libya last year. He has produced a report on the BBC News website and Newsnight will be broadcasting a special report by Urban tonight during the programme (10.30pm on BBC2 and available on Iplayer for several days after)
While some of the information in Urban's excellent report will be familiar to readers of this website's news section it does fill in much of the details not reported in the mainstream media at the time. Of special interest is the identification of 'E Squadron', possible a reference to the long-rumoured MI6 / UKSF unit sometimes referred to as 'the Increment'. It was apparently E Squadron's covert operation that went awry when they were arrested by rebel forces shortly after inserting by RAF Chinook into the Libyan desert.
more info, further reading:
- Inside story of the UK's secret mission to beat Gaddafi
(bbc news report)
related Elite UK Forces articles:
- UK Special Forces Evacuate British Workers From Libya
- 2nd UK Special Forces Rescue Mission In Libya
- UK Special Forces Team Arrested In Libya
- UKSF Team Freed By Libyan Rebels
- UKSF On The Ground In Libya?
- UKSF Spotted In Libya?
- British Special Forces & The Fall Of Tripoli
- Did The SAS Help Catch Gaddafi?