L115A3 Long Range Rifle
The L115A3 long range rifle is a bolt-action sniper rifle that is chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum. The L115A3 was introduced as part of the Sniper System Improvement Programme (SSIP), with the first weapons being fielded by 16 Air Assault Brigade in Helmand in 2008. It largely replaces the L96 and L115A1 sniper rifles previously fielded by UK forces.
The L115A3 is manufactured by Accuracy International. Among its features are:
- chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum (8.59mm) with an effective range of +1,100 meters
- stainless steel, fluted, 686mm barrel
- Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II day scope with 25x magnification.
- Sniper Thermal Imaging Capability (STIC) night scope mounted forward of the day scope allows for target acquisition at night / low-light conditions
- The weapon can be fitted with a suppressor in order to reduce muzzle flash and noise signature.
- The stock folds which makes the weapon easier to carry in a backpack.
- Adjustable cheek-pieces, a stabilizing monopod and an adjustable bipod for improved shooting ergonomics
- 5-round box magazine
L115A3 Long Range Rifle with sound suppressor and Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II scope fitted.
A sniper with the Mobility Recce Force of 1 Royal Welsh takes aim with a L115A3 long range rifle during an operation in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
« weapons index
Brigade Recce Force Jackals firing at night
(click image for fullsize view & more info)